Seton

512273_OSHA Safety Signs- 125x125

Sunday, January 1, 2012

When Bargains Strike, Go For It!

According to GQ, one of the majors trends making a comeback for the spring 2012 season is plaid. It is making a comeback in different styles and color schemes. Because I have my own sense of "conservative with an edge" style, I am one to not follow trends if it goes against my "ideal" look. However, if something is to my taste, I will try it and potentially go along with it, especially if it comes at a bargain!

For the first day of the New Year, I actually made a shopping purchase from one of my favorite stores, Express. And I would have to say that I made several bargains and, best yet, they follow trends seen on the runway for the upcoming spring 2012. Here are the three button-down shirts that I purchased (All images were screencapped from Express's website):

Article A: Plaid Palest Blue Fitted Cotton Shirt (Original Price: $69.90, Express Cash Discount: $44.90)


Article B: Plaid Steel Extra Slim Fit Cotton Shirt (Original Price: $64.90, Clearance Price: $31.99)


Article C: Plaid Silver Haze Fitted Shirt (Original Price: $69.90, Clearance Price: $31.99)


Article A is a piece from Express's newest arrival. It's a plaid button-down shirt that can be worn with or without necktie for a casual and work-appropriate, respectively, looks. Because of a previous purchase I made, I received an Express Cash Coupon that allowed me to receive a $25 discount for every $50 purchase on non-clearance items. Looking for a deal, it was a no-brainer to use the coupon.

Articles B and C were on clearance sale because they are "last" season's style and consequently, they have been heavily discounted. (Twice actually! They were both originally 70% off! A few days later, they were discounted an additional 20%!) However, according to GQ, they technically would be back in because they are plaid! As described in the name of the look, it is still plaid, but a different pattern and color scheme of plaid. Because I love the looks (especially C) I bought them at their discounted price, AND on trend.

But that is not the best part! If I bought all the shirts for their original prices, before tax, I would have spent more than $200! But in all, with all the discounts and coupons and tax, I spent $125! That was a savings of $75!

The first moral of the story: Although they are labelled as last season's styles, buy them anyway! Use them and make the most of them. At the same time, they are ready in your closet for use when they comeback into trend, because styles and trends usually make a comeback in fashion, especially the common patterns or prints. For me, I was fortunate that plaid was prominent again this season! The second moral: Wait as long as you can to see how much of a discount you can get, especially on clearance items! I did! And I made away with a relative steal on New Year's day!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE DISCOUNT CLOTHES...I HAD WORKED TOO MANY YEARS IN RETAIL TO KNOW EVERYTHING GETS MARKDOWN IN TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man... If only you knew somebody who worked in retail who could hook me up with a part-time position, that would be awesome! I love clothes and to be around it would be cool, especially if it is at a place where I would shop!

    ReplyDelete