Seton

512273_OSHA Safety Signs- 125x125

Monday, January 30, 2012

Shopping Wish List Part 03: Messenger/Work Bags

I hate to admit it, but in some ways, I feel like a style hypocrite. When it comes to clothes, I have a tendency to sacrifice comfort for actually looking stylish. For example, given a choice between wearing a tacky holiday-themed sweater versus looking fashionable and not wearing layers (with the exception of workout clothes for going on a jog), I would probably choose freezing and suffering the bitter cold than being caught dead in public looking hideous.

However, when it comes to actually carrying books or my laptop around, I tend to opt for utilitarian and functional, instead of style. It is on this point where I guess I could be considered a contradiction. Even with my style evolution, my work accessories have fallen behind. I still carry this:


My Targus laptop bag serves me well! I do not regret owning it because it has protected my valuable laptop, books, notes, papers, what have you, through all types of weather! To the inner fashionista, it is devoid of color, clunky, and gray. To the practical me, it is functional, useful, sturdy, and durable.

Without realizing it, my definition of "stylish" invoked "utility" and "style" as mutually exclusive from each other. But, just as before, thanks to my bestie Kit Kat, she convinced me to marry the inner fashionista with the inner pragmatist. She influenced me to invest in a stylish, albeit functional alternative: The Messenger Bag!

Wish List Item 03: Messenger/Work Bag

Messenger bags, also known as work bags depending on which label one looks at, come in many different shapes, sizes, and sturdiness. Some come in a cloth/canvas/denim type fabrics, like this by 21 Men by Forever 21 (Image screencapped from Forever 21's website):



Some come in more expensive leather. Here is one by Prada (Image screencapped from Neiman Marcus' website):



Some are made only to carry papers, folders, books, like this one by Lanvin (Image screencapped from Neiman Marcus' website):



Just like this leather work bag from Banana Republic, messenger bags can have special padded compartments to protect one's laptop (Image screencapped from Banana Republic's website):



Bottom line, having been exposed to the more fashionable work accessories, I have come to the following realization: Backpacks are more appropriate for the elementary, middle or high school student, or more for the outdoorsy types. (Note: I realize that not all backpacks are like Jansports and that there are luxe types out there by high-end designers. This comment is not directed to those.) Once one graduates to institutions of higher education or to the work place, so too should their bags. When the finances permit, on my next trip, I'm on the hunt for a messenger bag that will last me a while, even if it means paying a hefty sum!


No comments:

Post a Comment