Seton

512273_OSHA Safety Signs- 125x125

Monday, January 2, 2012

To Donate or Not To Donate?...

...that is the question when choosing which articles of clothing that might need to get donated when spring cleaning.

In general, a key rule of thumb Tim Gunn suggests to prevent your closet from overflowing with clothes is that if you have not worn something for more than a year, dispose of it or donate it, whichever you prefer. While for common basics of clothing (i.e. plain button-down shirts, dress shirts, pants, denim, etc.) these are easier to part with, for more "specialized" pieces (i.e. vests, outerwear, sweaters, etc.) it is best to hold off! Why? You may never know when that special piece might come back in style. Case in point, my look for today:


Today's casual outfit that I wore to do work at Starbucks consisted of a black Fruit of the Loom crew neck tee, black Rocco slim-fit, low-rise denim by Express, cloth belt by H&M, and a colorblocked track jacket by Express, and black suede sneakers by Airwalks. The highlight of this look was the track jacket!

This was a jacket I purchased two years ago. Though I rarely use it due to my reluctance to layer clothing in Southern California weather, it rarely sees beyond the closet doors. Today was one of the few occasions it got some use. Purposefully, I might add, because colorblocking is making a comeback for Spring 2012. If I donated my jacket because it did not get used, being the fashionista that I am, I probably would have had to purchase a lot more colors just to color block separates, or to buy already colorblocked clothes. With this jacket already in my closet, I did not have to. By looking through my wardrobe, I was able to use something that I already owned to create a look that is on trend!

So when doing "spring" cleaning, be prudent and wise! You may never know when you may need that piece of clothing again!

2 comments:

  1. What are some of the places you donate to? Are there any fashion trends that are dead forever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get bags from charities such as disabled veterans asking for clothes. My grandparents always donates and asks me for some of my most underused items.

    I think there are some that die for good, like those hammer pants of the late 80s early 90s. I have seen that type of pants in a long time. I would think that detailed prints may go out of style. Tie-dyes are not common or considered trendy.

    It seems that those that do make come backs would be certain colors, certain shapes or silhouettes, certain patterns or constructions.

    ReplyDelete