Seton

512273_OSHA Safety Signs- 125x125

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Quintessential Look

I have always defined my style as: "Conservative With An Edge." In my mind's eye, this translates to updating and/or adding personality to what would otherwise be considered traditional and commonplace looks. My new favorite outfit best epitomizes that style philosophy.

For inspiration, I turn to the traditional corporate raider/corporate executive look, a stereotype cemented by the stylings of Gordon Gekko (shown below) from the 1987 movie classic, "Wall Street."


Taking cues from the picture above (primarily the braces pulling up the pants to create a high-waist pant, and the printed tie), I update the look and add "edge" to it. The result is the following:


I create a modernized look by using dark colors and creating a slim silhouette by mixing tailored pieces. I take a fitted black 1MX shirt, black Photographer pants, both by EXPRESS, and my black leather Nunn Bush derbys to create a dark, solid-color canvas. To provide contrast and pizazz to the outfit, I unbutton the top two buttons of the shirt to show a little skin and to let the black with white stripes Billy London silk tie hang low. I complete the look by using the gray skinny suspenders by Levis to pull the pants up, to create the high-waist.

By using dark colors and more fitted pieces, I update and spice up the Gordon Gekko look, essentially taking a conservative look and edging it out to make it my own, my "conservative with an edge" own!

2 comments:

  1. I love this look...I am with my date right now, showing him your articles and telling him this look is perfect on him. He's never really wore a suit... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he has never really worn a suit, then what did he wear on your first date? I think it is essential to wear something formal on an official first date, at least to make a good impression. I just do not get the apprehension some guys have with actually looking put together, even on off days.

      Delete