Seton

512273_OSHA Safety Signs- 125x125

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Patience... Saves Money!

Recently, I blogged about how I was shopping for a new messenger bag. It would be the perfect accessory to complement my new style. Because this was going to be my everyday work bag, I did extensive research and comparison shopping online before I came to a decision. Eventually, after weeks eyeing, browsing, and reading reviews, I was sold on this Leather Work Bag by Banana Republic:


Besides being forced to pare down the non-essential clutter from my nylon Targus backpack, I love this bag because it has enough storage space to house my notebooks, pens, wallet, calculator, cell phone, earphones, mouse, laptop adapters, etc. It also has a separate padded laptop compartment. When I first used this bag, I felt like a professional carrying this around instead of a backpack. It also did not hurt that it was made of pure leather!

However, what I loved most about this wish list item purchase was the amount of savings I made just by being patient.

When I need something, I usually just go ahead and make a purchase without much consideration for savings. This messenger bag retails for $228. Even though this item was a necessity, I was reluctant because I would be spending a large amount of money for just one item. I was able to postpone making the purchase until I could see the item for myself and try out the compartments in store.

The opportunity came when my friend Justin invited me on a shopping trip to South Coast Plaza. I had no intention to shop. However, on that particular weekend, Banana Republic was having a 25% off sale! In addition, because I lived relatively far away from Costa Mesa, I got a passport where select stores offer gifts and/or discounts for certain purchases. Banana Republic had a 10% off any regular priced item. With those discounts in mind, I relented! I knew I had to shop, and I did!

The resulting savings were considerable! The breakdown:

Original price: $228.00
Banana Republic Sale: $57.00
South Coast Plaza Passport Discount: $17.10
Final Sale Price with Tax: $165.83
Total Savings: $62.17

If I was impulsive and purchased my bag right away, I would have had to pay, including tax: $245.68!

By being patient and not immediately purchasing the bag, I saved myself $79.84! Now I know, when I make hefty purchases, I will take my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment