Seton

512273_OSHA Safety Signs- 125x125

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Impossible Dream?: My Ideal Blazer - Contender 03

Two days ago, I posted a convertible blazer to waistcoat by D&G.  Here is another unique D&G blazer that at one point was in contention for my ideal, go-to blazer.



As often mentioned, my style aesthetic is "Conservative With An Edge."  Essentially, what that means is traditional, structured outfits styled in ways that add personality and attitude.  This short-sleeved blazer did all that.  Blazers all tend to be long-sleeved and full-length.  This jacket defies most traditions by opting to go in a rarely, if ever, seen short-sleeves with a short fit (where the bottom of the coat goes slightly below the waist).

However, after getting over the style shock, reality hit me.  This blazer, while edgy and unique, is not the most practical.  It can only be worn with short-sleeved wovens or shirts or knits, and nothing with long sleeves (that is unless one want to roll their sleeves all the way up).  This would not be as appropriate in business meeting or a conservative corporate work environment.  This would get the most mileage on nights out or date night or partying with friends.

Ultimately, as much as I loved the inherently personality of this piece, pragmatism and utilitarianism won over style and attitude.  Yes, it met the "Conservative with an Edge" and "material worth the price" criteria on my checklist.  But, I'm looking for something that will get more use than just one night.  So, if only I could afford more than one blazer, for now, I would have to cross this off my list.  

(On a side note: It also failed the other two important points, as well: It is not available in D&G boutiques, only online, and it is in dark blue, not black.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment