Seton

512273_OSHA Safety Signs- 125x125

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Impossible Dream?: My Ideal Blazer

Contrary to the words of high-end Italian designer Domenico Dolce of the eponymous label Dolce & Gabbana, "It's simple: Everyone should have a black blazer," I never had an interest to add the closet staple to my own wardrobe.  Personally, I have never felt the need to use one.  However, ever since I started working my two new positions as a part-time instructor at a community college and a retail sales associate, I relented.  Now, I have been looking to add a stylish go-to black blazer/sports coat to my wardrobe.  

Ever since I have had a style evolution, not once have I given a time of day to the blazer.  However, after reading fashion magazines and seeing different runway stylings, it has become evident that they really are versatile wardrobe must-haves.  Sports coats can be dressed up by wearing dress-pants, button-down shirt, and a tie for a business-casual look.  Blazers can also be dressed down by pairing it with denim.  Essentially, one blazer can be styled with other pieces in many different ways.  

And so began the quest to find my ideal blazer!  I had four main criteria:
  1. It had to fit my "Conservative with an Edge" style aesthetic.  Translation: Conservative enough to be worn in an office setting, but with details that make it non-traditional and unique.
  2. The blazer MUST be available in store for a fitting.
  3. The composition of the material MUST be directly proportional to the price.
  4. It MUST be in black.
If I had to create an inspiration board for my ideal blazer, it would be a hybrid of the following looks:

My ideal piece would be a tailored, double-breasted blazer like this Neil Barrett super skinny double-breasted jacket (image screencapped from the Neil Barrett online boutique).:


It would have the (rarely seen in menswear blazer) short fit of this Dolce & Gabbana satin and wool voile women's blazer (image screen capped from the Dolce & Gabbana online boutique).:


The blazer would ideally have zippers and asymmetric details more commonly found in leather motorcycle jackets like this biker jacket in python nubuck suede by Gucci (image screencapped from the online Gucci boutique).


As I began my online window-shopping, it slowly started to dawn on me that my ideal blazer might not even exist.  There were several pieces that caught my attention, but all had flaws that were making me reluctant to purchase them.  Over the next couple of blog posts, I'll share with you what blazers nearly came close to being purchased!  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment